I’ve decided to do an “Inventory” series. Partly because I always find glimpses of other people’s makeup stash to be interesting, but also partly because I’m hoping that it will help me declutter stuff. I have a lot of trouble letting go of stuff that I have no use for and which I know I will never use, but I tell myself that I’m “saving” it for something or that I’ll use it when I’m out of other stuff. I hope that, after looking at products as part of a collection of items, I will be able to let go more easily.
I’m starting with face primers – pretty much all of them are samples and mini sizes (so I swear it’s not as bad as it looks!).
- Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector – I bought this in the smaller available size last summer to use on the areas where I sweat and get oily a lot during humid weather – my upper lip, nose, forehead, and the inner part of my cheeks. I use a very little bit, rub it between my fingers, and tap it on. It does a good job of mattifying and I will probably repurchase in the future.
- Makeup Forever Step 1 Skin Equalizer Smoothing Primer – I use this to smooth over my pores and fine lines. It’s just ok – I wish it did a better job of filling in acne pockmarks, and while it mattifies a little bit, it doesn’t keep oil from coming through for longer than 5 hours. After I use it up, I’m going to look for a better pore-filling primer.
- Laura Mercier Foundation Radiance Primer – I got this as a sample and surprisingly turned out to love it. This is a beautiful primer that makes my skin look absolutely glowy. I actually like to wear it on its own or under powder, rather than under liquid foundation (which can look too shiny). I may repurchase it in the future.
- Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer – I was ambivalent about keeping this one because it’s basically just silicone in a tube. I don’t like the way it feels when putting it on, and if I leave it on for too long, it can cause pimples. But I wore it for a couple of days and it actually does do a good job of smoothing over my skin, lessening oil production, and extending the wear time of foundation, so I will keep it but I will not repurchase.
- Smashbox Photo Finish Hydrating Undereye Primer – I’m on my second tube of this. I know an undereye primer sounds ridiculous, but I actually really like it to hydrate my undereyes (without being too thick) before putting on corrector and concealer. Plus you only need the tiniest bit; a tube lasts over a year. I may repurchase again, or I may purchase an eye cream with SPF.
- Mac Prep + Prime Skin Base Visage mini (x3) – I’ve used up samples of this before and I really like it – it’s smoothing and controls oil decently well. This is the type of product that I like and will use when it’s a sample, but will not spend the money for a full-size for.
- Mac Prep + Prime Natural Radiance in Radiant Yellow mini – I have not tried this yet but I want to see what it’s like.
- Mac Strobe Cream mini (x3) – I really like this to hydrate around my mouth. Another example of the type of product I like when it’s around but would not purchase.
- BlackUp Perfect Mattifying Primer (foil sample) – I’ll try this out this summer.
- Paula’s Choice Shine Stopper Instant Matte Finish (foil sample) – same as above.